Friday 20 May 2011

Distant Worlds, Nearby Adventures

So, for those of you who dont know the name Nobuo Uematsu, he's a composer and song-writer famous for his works in the video game industry, specifically all of the Final Fantasy music that gamers love so much.
He did the entire sound track for final fantasys 1-9 (and a bunch of the spin off titles) and has partially contributed to the soundtracks of the rest, and most of squares other games aswell
He worked for Square Enix (formerly known as Square, and then Squaresoft) for 20 years, before breaking off and making his own company and becomming a freelancer (what a boss)


So basically, this guy has done literally thousands of songs, and so many of them are masterpieces, and he's still going.
You'd think there'd be a limit to your creativity, to how many songs you can make before they all start sounding the same but no, he just keeps on going.
And he can even (and does) weave a theme and nature subtly into a soundtrack, and he's covered pretty much every style of music.
He is quite possibly the best composer who's ever lived, and is simply limited by the lack of exposire video games have had compared to other mediums (at least untill recently).

Never the less, his music is famous and has even been played at the olympics, has inspired so many other artists, has been groundbreaking (I believe, and I could be wrong, that the one winged angel song from FF7 was the first piece of videogame music to have coherent lyrics) has been in time magazine, has created his own band, and does concerts the world over.

Out of the many of those, there is a concert performance titled 'Distant Worlds' that has been touring the world, where nobuo has teamed up with Arnie Roth, who is some famous grammy award winning dude.

I was lucky enough to get to go see this as it visited the Sydney Opera house, thanks to my bud mandy who is a boss and organized this amazing adventure for us and did a really good job, thanks mandy!
And so off we went!


We took 2 cars, the others went through some amazing place with an amazing bakery or something, but we slept in (allright!)
How cool are we?
So me rose and scabe ended up going down by ourselves where me and scabe gave rose an introduction to Final Fantasy music as she'd never played the games :(
And we ended up arriving in Sydney about an hour before we had to meet up at the Opera house.
We stayed at tobys place, cause toby is the fucking king and makes everything better.


Anyways we headed off to the Opera house, all dressed up (well some of us) and I was touting my cool new shoes (see elsewhere in the blog).
On the way we saw this guy here, and he was having waaaay too much fun.


So we got to the Opera House, chilled out for abit (well I say that but everyone was excited) and took photos and stuff.


damn man, I look like such a creeper





my little family <3



Who is that? thanks to terrible 3ds camera, and crazy ninja shadow skills, you'll never know!
Pretty cool cosplay, good job penelope.
whoops, now you know.


Anyways we got inside, got our seats and watched the magic begin.

I lasted about 10 seconds into the concert before I teated up.
Now you can all call me a faggot if you want, but if you have played the games, esp as part of your childhood, you'd understand.
Nobuo either thanking arnie roth, or begging no to be made to do a solo piece.


Looks like holding hands in a line is a pretty difficult task


Theres something magical about Nobuos works, they are full of emotion by themselves, but they also really draw you into whats happening in the games they are in, which themselves are well written and full of emotion.

Many people will say Final Fantasy VII is the only game to have ever made them cry, because you really get drawn in and care about whats going on, you really feel it, thanks to the game itself but also to Nobuos Magic (wizards are the shit guys, they are so good)

And I was lucky enough to meet this amazing man in person.

Most signings the person you meet is just like yeah whatever, but nobuo was so cheerful and really into it (even though he looks kinda bored in the photo, like he was really happy and smiling, except for when you took the photo, shouldnt it be the other way around? oh well, I cant really smile on demand for photos either)
.
I got my photo taken with him using my 3DS (which is probably the worst camera ever, but it can take photos in 3D) and he and the photographer were like hey this is a 3DS isnt it, and nobuo wanted to see the picture so I showed him and he started freaking out "WOW, THATS IN 3D, THATS SOOOOO COOL!"
Yeah take that everyone else in the line waiting, nobuo likes me best!

The photographer was getting really excited over it too, and he was pretty much the coolest looking guy I've ever seen, so I asked him if I could take a photo of him too, he was so happy.

sanji?

After the concert we had Korean BBQ.
yum.

So all in all it was an amazing concert which covered music from pretty much every ff game, including some preview music from FF XIV (not that anyone cares about anything in the series after X, since the original team responsable for all the FF's up to that point left square and made their own company called mystwalker).

I had a great time, and you could too if they ever come this way again

I just hope my not so distant adventure to distant worlds wont soon become distant memories, lost in the fog of my mind.















1 comment:

  1. I lol'd at the creeper comment in this picture http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LTFEOPwOTY0/Tdak-pYHrsI/AAAAAAAAAIk/ZZcpGDcCaAA/s400/206449_10150265582410620_766275619_9233393_8307641_n.jpg

    Distant Worlds was such a good trip. :D

    ReplyDelete