Tuesday 3 May 2011

Pet Foxes!

So my favorite animal is, and probably always will be, the red fox. (and I sure do love animals)



I would love to own one as a pet, I really would, but not only is that illegal (I think), but they are wild animals.
They have instincts and habits that mean they just dont work in domestic settings (I sure would love to have the meat I gave it to eat, hidden all over the house in preperation for famine)

I also cant have pets where I live :(

Anyways, my prayers have been answered, at least partially, in the form of crazy soviet union scientists.

See, dogs are nothing more then domesticated wolves.
At some point, people started breeding wolves to get certain traits, and isolated those in breeding, etc etc and ended up with the common domestic dog.

Now some smart kids in russia, began a breeding program of their own in 1959, which lasted a long time (50 years or something), which the goal to create a new domesticated strain of foxes.
And they succeeded.


So there are now 'fox dogs' which are foxes with domestic qualities that can be kept as pets just as easily as a dog.


So I found my ideal pet, only problem is that they cost $6000, because the people who created these fox-dogs, have a monopoly on the market, given that they are the only people with them in the world, and when you buy fox-dogs off them, the fox-dogs are desexed AND you agree not to breed them (even though you cant because they have been desexed)

Also I cant have pets where I live, or else I probably would do the crazy 'luke' thing and save up and buy one.

If you want to know more about these beautiful creatures, heres the website - http://sibfox.com/



2 comments:

  1. So Luke, foxes. Hows abouts birds? You and I might both know that many mammals will, after an argument, reconcile and kiss and make up and all that jazz. But untill recently it was unheard of for birds to do the same.

    However we now have evidence that a species of raven will. After a fight, ravens have seen to act extremly close, they do this by sitting extremly close, preening each other and touching beaks, which for ravens are extremly strong social sign in birds. And this reconciliation happens very quickly after the fight, with the strongest signs show in the ten minutes after the fight.

    Interesting, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ravens also symbolise Death and Dispair.

    ReplyDelete